Gorilla Tracking Rules Uganda Rwanda
When you approach the mountain Gorillas:
- Keep a minimum of 7 metres (21feet) from the gorillas. This is to protect gorillas from human disease transmission
- You must stay in a tight group when you are near the gorillas.
- Keep your Voice low at all times. However, it is okay to ask the guide questions.
- DO NOT eat or drink while you are near the gorillas to reduce the risk of disease transmission.
- Some times the gorillas charge. Follow the guide’s examples- crouch down slow, DO NOT look at the gorillas in the eye, wait for the animals to pass. DO NOT
- Flash photography is not permitted! When taking pictures, move slowly and carefully.
- DO NOT touch the gorillas. They are wild animals.
- The maximum time visitors are allowed to spend with the gorillas is one hour limit their disturbance. If the gorillas become agitated or nervous, the guide will end the visit early.
- After the visit, keep your voices down until you are 200 metres away from the gorillas.
General Health Rules:
- a) Remember gorillas are very susceptible to human diseases. The following are ways to minimize the risk your visit might poses to them:
- Respect the limits imposed on the number of visitors allowed with the gorillas each day. This minimizes the risk of disease transmission and stress to the group.
- If you are feeling ill, or you are carrying a contagious disease, volunteer to stay behind. An alternate visit will be arranged for you, or you will be refunded your money.
- If you feel the urge to cough or sneeze when you are near the gorillas, please turn your head away and cover your nose and mouth in order to minimize the spread of bacteria or viruses.
- Always stay 7 metres (21 feet) away form the gorillas. The further back you are, the more relaxed the group will be.
- Do not attempt to touch the gorillas.
- Do not smoke, drink or eat when you are with the gorillas.
- Do not leave any rubbish (like food wrappers) in the Park; foreign items can harbor diseases or other contaminants.
11. If you need to defecate, whilst in the forest, please ask the guide to dig you a hole and ensure that you cover it when you have finished.